Archaeological sites- Knossos palace
The largest Archaeological site in Crete from the Bronze Age and the center of Minoan civilization.
Gortyna, Archaeological palace
Phaistos, Archaeological palace
A short trip from Elounda, this small island is the location of one of the most important
Venetian castles in Crete, built in 1579 for the port’s protection.
The new aquarium of Crete is open. Using a part of old U.S.A military base in Gouves (north coast),
near Heraklion - the new aquarium is open every day - from 10:30 till 17:30.
Admission is 7 euros.
Public market (Bazaar)
There is a public market (Bazaar) in Ierapetra every Saturday morning and every Friday in Makry Gialos.
Among the hustle and the perfumes of various products, be sure you will find local products and
opportunities, and interesting souvenirs as well. The traditional cretan products grown and produced
with the utmost care is in abundance.
Some more places we suggest you to visit:
- Archaeological sites
- Beautiful cities: Agios Nikolaos, Sitia, Ierapetra, Heraklion
- Sports activities
- Marine activities
- Explore beaches
- Night entertainment
- Water City: Anopoli is the largest water park in Europe.
- Aqua Plus: in Chersonissos
Snorkeling in Crete
Snorkeling is a relaxing activity you can enjoy for hours with the huge variety of marine life in Crete.
A trip to the villages and mountains of Crete is the perfect holiday activity, a series of mountain bike tours
organized in Crete by the Cretan Adventures. It is located in Heraklion and their tours lasting from one day to 35 km.
Hiking in Crete
- Hiking in Crete, hiking in the gorges of Crete.
- Agiofarago, in the Messaraarea, hiking in the gorge of the Saints.
- Asteroussia mountains the mountain range along the southern coast of crete.
- Koutsouras gorge
- Mount Dikti, hiking in east Crete (Lassithi)
- Idi or Psiloritis, the mountain of Zeus and the highest mountain in Crete.
- Gorge Mygias in Anogeia.
- The gorge Pines is a small canyon in south-eastern Crete, down from the Peukoi village of Makrus Gialos.
- Pervolakia gorge, next to the Kapsa monastery.
- Hiking in the gorge in western Crete Polirinia.
- Rouvas gorge, on the southern slopes of mount Idi, in central Crete.
- Samaria gorge, hiking in the largest gorge in Europe
- Vorizia gorge and Kamares cave, spectacular view to the south of Crete.
- White Mountains, hiking, more than 50 peaks higher than 2km.
- Zakros gorge or gorge of the Dead, south of Sitia.
“Beautifull Cities : Sitia, Ierapetra, Agios Nikolaos”
Spend a day visiting one of the full of Cretan character cities of the Lassithi prefecture. Whether you choose to relax swimming at their beautiful beaches, do some shopping therapy, enjoy your meal or drink in one of the many tavernas and cafes, visit museum and other cultural points of interest, or simply wander around the streets and beach roads, each one of them promise an unforgettable experience.
Monastery of Toplou
One of the largest, most beautiful and most important monasteries of Crete, the Monastery of Toplou is located on the way from Sitia to Vai beach. Impressive from afar, with its 33 meter high belfry and surrounded by a 10 meter high wall, it looks like a small fortress, in the middle of a harsh, almost dessert landscape.
This is a lush green plain of wild beauty, typical of this part of Crete. Many picturesque villages and windmills dot this plateau. This is where you will also find Dictaion Cave, the mythological birthplace of Zeus.
Opposite the beautiful resort of Elounda, the rocky islet of Spinalonga was fortified by the Venetians and served a variety of purposes through the centuries. Served as leper colony in the 1950s, and provided the scenery for Victoria Hislop’s best seller book – “The Island”.
To the west of Lassithi prefecture, not so far away, Heraklion offers also many opportunities for sightseeing. Heraklion city – the largest on Crete, Knossos and Phaistos Minoan Palaces, numerous museums and cultural places of interest, Cretan Aquarium, Water City aqua park, are just the top of a long list of beautiful sights to visit.
There are still countless places all around Crete, we will be happy to help you find them!